Would be possible to have a ".treeinfo" file added to the installers' page?
Fabiano Fidêncio
2018-12-07 09:45:31 UTC
Howdy!

Firstly, sorry if I'm sending the message to the wrong mailing list.
If that's the case, please, point me to the right one.

Although the subject says it all, let me explain the background of the
change so you all can get the idea of why it'd help a few projects
and/or even come up with a better solution than adding a ".treeinfo"
file.

I'm one of the maintainers of libosinfo[0], which is a project that,
basically, keeps info about OSes as such: the hardware they support,
the location for downloading ISOs, the location of online installation
trees, the minimum/recommended/maximum resources for an OS, scripts
for automating "JEOS"/"Desktop" installations and so on.

One of the APIs provided by libosinfo is to guess an OS from its
online installation tree and it's easily done by a treeinfo file like
the ones that can seen here[1], here[2] and here[3]. For the Debian
case however, as the ".treeinfo" file is not used, we're struggling
about having a reliable way to guess the OS from its tree because we
didn't find a specific file that we could try to inspect in order to
decide whether the installation tree is for debian7, debian8, debian9,
debian-testing ...

We also face the very same issue with Ubuntu's installation trees and
when approached they told us to firstly contact Debian and they'd be
happy to take the same direction taken by Debian.

So, would be possible to have the ".treeinfo" file added to the
installers' page? Is there any suggestion on any other path we could
take from our side?

[0]: https://libosinfo.org/
[1]: http://download.opensuse.org/pub/opensuse/distribution/leap/15.0/repo/oss/.treeinfo
[2]: http://mirror.vutbr.cz/fedora/releases/29/Server/x86_64/os/.treeinfo
[3]: http://mirror.centos.org/centos-7/7/os/x86_64/.treeinfo

Best Regards,
Fabiano Fidêncio
Antonio Terceiro
2018-12-07 10:10:27 UTC
Post by Fabiano Fidêncio
[...]
Does this work for you?

on Debian 9:

$ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="9"
VERSION="9 (stretch)"
ID=debian
HOME_URL="https://www.debian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://www.debian.org/support"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.debian.org/"

and on Debian unstable:

$ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
Fabiano Fidêncio
2018-12-07 10:36:46 UTC
Antonio,
Post by Antonio Terceiro
Post by Fabiano Fidêncio
[...]
Thanks for the answer! But, unfortunately, this is not related to what
I'm looking for. Your suggestion would work well for an *installed*
system. What we're trying to do is recognize an installation tree and
match it the OS that *will* be installed.

So, what I'm looking for is something like:
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stretch/main/installer-amd64/.treeinfo,
where the .treeinfo would have something like:
```
[header]
version = 1.0

[release]
name = Debian Stretch
version = 9

[general]
arch = amd64
family = Debian
name = Debian Stretch
version = 9
platforms = amd64

[images-amd64]
kernel = current/images/netboot/debian-installer/amd64/linux
initrd = current/images/netboot/debian-installer/amd64/initrd.gz
```

With that, we (as libosinfo) could easily match which Debian version
we're dealing with and, even more, exactly know the location from
where we could fetch the kernel and the initrd in order to perform a
"tree" based installation.

Is it more clear now?

Best Regards,
Fabiano Fidêncio
Antonio Terceiro
2018-12-07 10:42:16 UTC
Post by Antonio Terceiro
Post by Fabiano Fidêncio
[...]
Just realized you meant the _installer_ files, so nevermind.